Today’s post may not necessarily be considered a moving violation in certain states, but it is a question that I often hear when talking with people about traffic issues.  What lengths does a driver need to go to in order to inform someone that they hit their parked car or other property?  Is it enough to leave a note?  Does a report to law enforcement need to be made?  KSA 8-1605 gives us an idea of what the duty is in Kansas.

This particular statute states that when a driver collides with or is involved in an accident with any vehicle or other unattended property that actually results in damage, they shall stop and notify the owner by giving their name, address, and registration number of the driver’s vehicle.  If this is just not possible, they must attach securely and in a conspicuous place a written notice giving this information.  They must then notify the nearest authorized police authority.  If this is not done, it could be possible for the driver to face a misdemeanor violation of this statute.

Many Kansas drivers are surprised at the lengths they need to go in order to notify a property owner.  At times, determining if actual damage has been done can also be tricky.  There might also be issues of people attempting to leave a note, but the note gets lost.  Drivers should also be aware of all the information they need to leave.  Most people assume a name and phone number is enough.

It is clear the legislature intended to come up with a way to resolve unattended property damage situations without the constant need of law enforcement to be personally present.  This situation often comes up a lot during the winter with icy road conditions.  Make sure you are aware of all the information and efforts you need to go through in order to comply with this statute.

Until next time, drive safe!